of meeting held on Wednesday 6 September 2017 in the Community Room of the WE Cricket Club
Present: Linda Derrick (LD) (Chairman), Ian Guy (IG) (Secretary), Beryl Guy (BG), John Hatt (JH), Stan Jones (SJ), Ann McCarthy (AM), Ann Robinson (AR), David Robinson (DR), Pauline Smith (PS), Shona Tucker (ST), Elizabeth Warden (EW), Catherine Wetherell (CW) and David Winterburn (DW).
1. CHILTERN LODGEACTION
LD and others expressed disappointment that no-one from the Chiltern Lodge care home was present at the meeting, despite the manager earlier signalling her intention to come if possible.LD summarised the reports of eccentric and disturbing behaviour exhibited by the resident known as CJ over the last couple of years, adding that her main concern was over the possibility that this resident might resort to violent behaviour if provoked (intentionally or otherwise).EW and AR said that matters had greatly improved since October 2016. The carers now seemed better equipped to deal with their client, although there were still occasions when she appeared to be unattended.EW was worried about an apparent breach of confidentiality where loud voices were heard discussing matters that should have remained private.LD said she would draft a letter to the Chiltern Lodge manager and the Care Quality Commission summarising our concerns.This would initially be circulated to the committee for comment and approval. LD
2. FESTIVAL AT FOUR ASHES FOOTBALL GROUND
On Sunday 30 July a festival titled “Vincy's Cookout” and featuring music, carnival and football was held at Four Ashes, to the surprise of many local people who had not expected such an event. LD had emailed Simon Kearey, chairman of Widmer End Football Club, to ask some questions including:
Had the club given permission for the festival to be held there? (it had). Had the Police been informed? (apparently not). Was it in accordance with the lease of the land from the Parish Council to the Football Club? (LD to check). Had neighbouring residents been consulted? (uncertain). Was the event properly organised and managed? (generally, yes).
LD and others had called on residents after the event to ask how it had affected them. Nearly all the feedback was positive, with no adverse comments on traffic or antisocial behaviour, and the music, though loud and obtrusive to some, had stopped at 7 pm as advertised. There were compliments about the way litter had been picked up quickly and thoroughly afterwards.
The meeting agreed that the festival was acceptable as an annual event, although more notice should have been given, particularly to residents of Four Ashes who mostly knew nothing about it, and WERA should have been informed in advance. Questions still remained as to whether the temporary traffic lights installed along Kingshill Road had been approved by the Police, and whether the Parish Council had been consulted. LD
3. REQUEST BY WINDMILL ESTATE MANAGEMENT COMPANY (WEMC) FOR A KEY TO THE NOTICE BOARD
This item was discussed first, in the hope that key persons would be present during discussion of items 1 and 2 above.
After some discussion, committee members agreed to stand by the decision made when the notice boards were originally set up, namely that only three keys should be in use, held respectively by the Parish Clerk, Ian Guy and John Marchant. However, WEMC would still be welcome to submit their own noticesto WERA and have them displayed on the boards.IG would inform WEMC of the decision. IG
LD was hoping to attend the next WEMC meeting, their AGM, which is on 2 October. LD
4. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies had been received from Gavin Blundell, David Carroll, Daniel Fairless, Jasia Hatt, Simon Kearey (post-meeting), Hugh McCarthy, Carole Odell, Rachael Pennells (post-meeting), Stephen Thorpe and Marianne Tyler.
5. PROVISIONAL APPROVAL OF AGM MINUTES
The minutes of our Annual General Meeting were provisionally approved.Final approval will only be given at next year's AGM.
6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF POST-AGM MEETING ON 5 JULY
These minutes were approved and a copy was signed by the Chairman. 7. MATTERS ARISING
Constitution – A suggestion had been made by a resident that the WERA constitution should contain a provision to call an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) if an emergency situation arose.It CW, IG, Lyn was agreed that the document should be left as it is for now since it had only just been approved, but this Marchant (in question, plus any other suggestions for improvement that might be made in the coming months, could be early 2018) considered by the constitutional working party sometime in 2018.
Similarly, the working party could consider whether the end-of-financial-year accounts should be looked at by an independent examiner before publication.
Grants – In July, Hughenden Parish Council resolved that from 2018 onward grants should not be given automatically but “all organisations would need to apply for the grant and detail what the funds are to be spent on”. This was confirmed by a letter from the Parish Clerk, Shona Hadwen.IG agreed to write to Shona thanking HPC for its recent donation of £520 and outlining how WERA had spent its money over the past year. IG
Best Kept Village competition – Widmer End had competed for the DeFraine Cup for villages of 1501 to 3000 inhabitants, and achieved a reasonable score of 77 out of 100 (last year's was 78). The judges' comments were LD at mostly complimentary, although they did describe the Windmill Parade forecourt as looking “very bland” forthcoming despite the tub planting which now adorns it. It was agreed to encourage Dan Fairless to keep up the WEMC maintenance of this feature, and to ask WEMC whether they could do anything to brighten the area up. meeting) BCC's Minerals & Waste Local Plan – LD had looked at this document to see what it said about 'fracking' for shale gas as there was a small possibility of this occurring in Bucks, but there was very little mention of this in the plan.
9. FINANCE The financial position of WERA as on 31 July 2017 was: Current account£4165.41 Deposit account£3130.28 Total£7295.69
The financial position of WERA as on 31 August was: Current account£4237.41 Deposit account£3130.41 Total£7367.82
There appeared to be a good response to the request for donations made in the Autumn 2017 issue of Widmer End News.
10. REPORTS FROM COUNTY, DISTRICT AND/OR PARISH COUNCILLORS
As the only councillor present, SJ told the meeting that Hughenden Parish Council was working on its future strategy and was considering issuing a questionnaire to all residents
11. TREES IN WIDMER END
AM passed on Hugh's request that we should consider 'adopting' a tree planted on the verge, as had been done in Hazlemere.Once planted, a tree would need frequent watering for a year or two but would then, hopefully, adapt to its environment and flourish.Trees in an urban or semi-rural setting have a calming influence and absorb pollution.The suggestion met with general agreement and IG was asked to seek a WDC grant via our district councillors.An article in Widmer End News was also suggested. IG, CW
12. RED TELEPHONE BOX
Hugh McCarthy had also wondered whether Widmer End would be interested in having a redundant red telephone box, several of which were for sale. In other villages such boxes were to be found in use as community libraries or recycling centres – anything other than for making calls!LD she would ask WEMC whether a box could be set up on the Windmill Parade forecourt if we could get one.Alternatively it could LD, John be placed near the Village Hall, where it could be used to house the proposed defibrillator. Marchant 13. GRANGE FARM There has been some antagonism between the tenant of Grange Farm and dog walkers, exacerbated by an incident last April when a dog ran through the farm gate and killed a goose without the dog owners being aware of what was happening.A note has appeared on our Facebook page to draw attention to the Countryside Code, which states that a farmer has a right to shoot animals that attack his livestock and that dog owners are advised to keep their dog on a lead when near to farm animals. Notices have since been put up near the farm advising dog walkers to do this. LD had met the tenant farmer and hoped that good relations could still be maintained between him and our residents.An article in Widmer End News describing the environmental work being done at Grange Farm was suggested as a means of helping to achieve this.
14. BEEKS's FIELD Rubbish was still being piled up at the bonfire site, despite efforts of WDC councillors and environmental officials.A 'premature' bonfire had been reported, which left large quantities of unburnt plastics and metals in the field.LD said she would write to David Carroll. LD
15. UPDATE ON ALLOTMENTS APPEAL Two appeals have been dismissed by the First Tier Tribunal. One was an appeal against the Charity Commission setting up a scheme which established the Hughenden Community Support Trust (HCST) and transferred the title of four allotments (including Windmill Lane) and other land in the parish to HCST.The other was an appeal against the Charity Commission registering HCST as a charity. The resident bringing the case has asked the Tribunal to reconsider its decision on the grounds of procedural irregularity. HPC has confirmed that the land in question is covered by the council's insurance policy.
16. PRIMROSE HILL WILDFLOWER MEADOW Part of a fence has gone missing from the field behind the Primrose Hill allotments.The Parish Council has confirmed that the fence would be reinstated to stop unauthorised encroachment on the site.
17. WIDMEREND NEWS CW and the editorial team were congratulated on the Autumn issue of the magazine.Deadline for submitting copy for the Winter issue is 3rd November. ALL
Terriers Farm – The liaison group was due to meet again on Tuesday 12 September, for the first time for over a year.WDC planning officer Charles Power would update the council's plans in the light of comments received from WERA and many others.
Local Plan – Some changes had been made since the original draft, including an increased housebuilding target. The proposed development at Glynswood, to which WERA had objected, is still in the plan.
Willow View, Windmill Lane – WDC's threat to enforce demolition of the unauthorised development at this site has not yet materialised.LD will write to ask why. LD
19. ROADS AND TRAFFIC See next item for news about MVASes (motor vehicle activated signs). 20. HUGHENDEN NEIGHBOURHOOD ACTION GROUP (HNAG)/CRIME AND SECURITY
IG, BG, AM and John Marchant (JM) had attended the HNAG meeting held on Thursday 27 July.There was much discussion about MVASes. Some new guidelines have been issued by Transport for Bucks (TfB) regarding the number and location of poles carrying an MVAS. Permanent poles should not be installed solely for this purpose, the idea being to reduce the number of poles that add to street 'clutter' and might pose a risk of collision.
JM had updated the HNAG meeting on the availability of MVAS poles, distributing a series of photographs of pole sites throughout the parish, including both currently used and possible future locations. Two extra poles were planned for use in Widmer End, one permanent and one not.
JM commented that as the machines and poles will have to be moved around more often, more volunteers would be needed. Also, brackets connecting the machines to the poles were in short supply. JM had agreed not to report the maximum speed recorded during a period of operation as this was not relevant to the general pattern of driver behaviour.
21. VILLAGE HALL AND RECREATION GROUND
AM reported that everything was in order. The committee was still aiming to acquire a defibrillator.
22. FORTHCOMING EVENTS
Saturday 14 October: Quiz in aid of GAT, Village Hall, 7.00 for 7.30 pm.
Saturday 28 October: Widmer End St Margaret's Cricket Club Dinner and Dance, Village Hall.
23. FUTURE MEETINGS
Confirmed as 4 October, 1 November, 6 December (with wine and nibbles), i.e.the first Wednesdays of the month. In 2018 we would probably meet every month except January and August, but this would be confirmed at the October meeting. ALL
24. ANY OTHER BUSINESS
AM remarked that the WERA distribution list needs updating. IG will consult CW and probably others. IG, CW
IG drew attention to the work put in by residents who deliver Widmer End News to households throughout the village. Perhaps we could hold a party for them shortly before Christmas, as the High Wycombe Society does for its 'postmen'. IG will discuss this with CW. IG, CW